Norton by Symantec has released findings from its annual Norton Cyber Security Insights Report, revealing 2.53 million consumers in the UAE have been victims of online crime in the past year as hackers take advantage of consumer complacency. The report shows that despite spending more than AED 5.2 billion (US $1.4 billion) and an average of 31.5 hours per victim dealing with the consequences, UAE consumers affected by cybercrime in the past year are the most likely to continue engaging in risky online behavior, leaving themselves vulnerable to further attacks.
The report, a survey of nearly 21,000 consumers globally, including 883 in the UAE, sheds a light on the impact of cybercrime and reveals that while consumer awareness of cybercrime is growing, many are complacent about protecting their personal information. Nearly seven in 10 (68 per cent) know they must actively protect their information online, yet are still willing to click on links or open malicious attachments from senders they don’t know.
Millennials in the UAE are the most commonly affected by online crime, with 53 per cent having experienced it within the past year. Men (52 per cent), and frequent travelers (50 per cent) were also likely to report higher incidents of cybercrime. Consumer complacency and risky online behaviours are helping hackers reap rewards from their efforts as they continue to hone their craft and adapt scams. Although phishing scams have been around for more than two decades, people still have a hard time identifying fake emails. Nearly one-third of UAE consumers are unable to identify a phishing attack.
“Our findings show that people are growing increasingly aware of the need to protect their personal information online, but aren’t motivated to take adequate precautions to stay safe,” said Tamim Taufiq, Head of Norton Middle East. “While consumers remain complacent, hackers are refining their skills and adapting their scams to further take advantage of people, making the need for consumers to take some action increasingly important.”
Consumers Admit the Risks Are Real
The prevalence of cybercrime has merged with peoples’ perception of real-world risks and many now see cybercrime dangers as equivalent to risks in the real world.
- Nearly half of consumers (49 per cent) indicated that it is now harder to stay safe and secure in the online world than in the real, physical world
- More than half (59 per cent) said they believe entering financial information online when connected to public Wi-Fi is riskier than reading their credit or debit card number aloud in a public place
- 55 per cent believe it’s more likely for someone to gain unauthorised access to their connected home devices than their physical homes
Bad Habits Are Hard to Break – Online or Otherwise
Experiencing cybercrime is a potential consequence of living in a connected world, but consumers still remain complacent and demonstrate risky online habits when it comes to protecting their personal information online.
- UAE consumers are still willing to click on links from senders they don’t know or open malicious attachments. Three in ten (30 per cent) cannot detect a phishing attack, and another nine per cent have to guess between a real message and a phishing email, meaning nearly four in 10 are vulnerable
- Millennials exhibit surprisingly slack online security habits and are happy to share passwords that compromise their online safety (36 per cent). This is likely why they remain the most common victims of cybercrime with 53 per cent of millennials in the UAE having experienced it in the past year
- Despite a majority (64 per cent) of consumers claiming to use a secure password on every account, nearly one-third (31 per cent) share their passwords with others, and many (31 per cent) fail to see the danger of using the same passwords across multiple accounts
- One in five (21 per cent) of people have at least one unprotected device, leaving their other devices vulnerable to ransomware, malicious websites, zero days and phishing attacks. Of these, 31 per cent say they don’t do anything “risky” online, and one-third (32 per cent) say it is because they don’t believe their devices need protection, leaving them vulnerable to attack
- With a love for constant connectivity, nearly a quarter (23 per cent) of UAE consumers are willing to install a third party programme to access public Wi-Fi rather than go without.
Hackers hone skills to reap rewards
As consumers remain complacent with their online security habits, hackers are taking full advantage, honing their skills to compromise online accounts.
- While two in five (42 per cent) feel overwhelmed about the amount of information they need to protect themselves online, more than half (55 per cent) believe that online safety should be self-taught, which could leave more people at risk given rampant ignorance about online security
- While only one-quarter (24 per cent) admit it is unlikely they would be able to recognize a fraudulent email asking for financial information, an experiment in the survey, putting consumers to the test, shows very different results. When asked to identify a real and fake banking email, a third (39 per cent) of the UAE consumers were vulnerable to falling for the phishing e-mail. Furthermore, of those who have been phished, a majority (87 per cent) experienced a negative outcome such as an account or data compromise
- As a result of consumer complacency in protecting connected devices, risky online habits and sharing passwords, there has been 420,000 more consumers in the UAE affected by cybercrime in the last year
Linksys Launches New Series of Affordable WiFi 6 Mesh Solutions
Linksys has announced two new WiFi 6 mesh systems designed to deliver peak wireless performance for all at-home needs including remote working, streaming content, multi-user gaming, and more. The Linksys Hydra 6 and Linksys Atlas 6 are Linksys’ newest entry-level dual-band products in the company’s family of WiFi 6 mesh systems and come at the most affordable prices to date for the brand.
“There is an increased need for wireless connectivity that can handle the influx of devices on home networks, and deliver reliable, secure, and private connections,” said Amanullah Khan, Managing Director for the Middle East, Turkey & Africa at Linksys. “Our mission is to connect everyone securely and through the launch of these systems, we provide our customers with two new options for fast speed, coverage, and connectivity at an affordable price point.”
Linksys Atlas 6
The Linksys Atlas 6 is the newest whole-home mesh system in Linksys’ portfolio of products. Speed and performance at an affordable price, the Linksys Atlas 6 is ideal for hybrid work, online gaming, 4K UHD streaming, and more. The dual-band router works best with internet service plans up to a gigabit. Each node has three 1GbE Ethernet ports for connecting wired devices to wireless networks and provides access to 160MHz channels for superfast wireless connections.
The Linksys Atlas 6 is available in three configurations. The 1-pack supports up to 25 devices and covers over ~2,000 square feet, the 2-pack supports up to 50 devices and covers ~4,000 square feet, and the 3-pack supports up to 75 devices ~6,000 square feet.
Linksys Hydra 6
The Linksys Hydra 6 delivers high-speed wireless data for up to 25 devices over 2,000 square feet. The Linksys Hydra 6 WiFi 6 dual-band mesh router delivers dramatically faster, robust, and reliable wireless connections. Ideal for super smooth 4K UHD streaming, video conferencing, online gaming, and more. The router works best with internet service plans up to a gigabit. It provides 160 MHz channels for superfast wireless connections and has four 1 GbE Ethernet ports to connect wired devices such as gaming devices, television, DVR, and more to the wireless network.
Features of Linksys Atlas 6 and Hydra 6, include:
- Fast to set up. Easy to manage. – The Linksys App makes it simple to set up your WiFi network and you can control and monitor your WiFi from anywhere.
- Linksys Intelligent Mesh Technology – Dynamically optimize speeds and maximize the use of all bands to reduce congestion, latency, and buffering.
- Security and privacy you can trust – Protect your home with automatic software updates so your network is always secure and up to date. Parental controls and separate guest networks keep devices safe.
- Peace of mind – Linksys products pass 25 quality tests, are backed by a 3-year warranty, and have 24/7 tech support.
- Grow as needed – When your family, home, and needs grow, your WiFi should grow with you. Add more nodes to expand coverage for a stronger connection and to handle more devices as needed.
- Robust. Stable. Reliable. – Built with the Qualcomm Immersive Home 214 Platform users can expect great connectivity throughout the home.
The Linksys Hydra 6 will be available beginning early summer in the US for $179.99 on Linksys.com and in select retailers; global availability to follow in the second half of 2022. The Linksys Atlas 6 will be available beginning early summer in the US for $149.99 (1-pack), $279.99 (2-pack), and $349.99 (3-pack) on Linksys.com; global availability to follow in the second half of 2022.
T4W and NetEase Games to Publish Party Game Eggy Go in Multiple Regions
The 4 Winds Entertainment (T4W) has announced a publishing partnership with NetEase Games, the online games division of NetEase, to launch the upcoming mobile party game Eggy Go (English name pending) in EMEA, Australasia, India, LATAM, and North America. Eggy Go is an imaginative super party game for mobile, supporting up to 32 players who compete per match, with strong social features that have attracted the attention of a large number of players during its closed beta stage across the globe. As NetEase’s most anticipated party mobile game this year, the Chinese launch of the game will be on May 26th, ready to start the party with an impressive number of pre-registrations.
“Since its start, The 4 Winds Entertainment has been on a mission to provide high-quality gaming entertainment from the best worldwide developers to Opportunity Markets and the rest of the globe,” stated Steven Huot, CEO of The 4 Winds Entertainment. “We found the right partner, one that shares our excitement and is more than up for the task. NetEase Games is an excellent choice, collaborating with us to create an outstanding game for iOS and Android.”
The global release timeline of Eggy Go will be announced soon, and to stay up to date on Eggy Go, please visit the Official Website https://www.eggygo.com/
MSI Announces the Modern AM242 and AM272 Series AIO PCs and Modern MD272 Series Monitor
MSI has announced the Modern AM242 and Modern AM272 Series All-in-One PCs. Featuring the exclusive software MSI Cloud Center, they can bring you a private cloud and help backup your files between the mobile devices (Android & iOS) and Modern AM242 & AM272 Series. Their eye care technologies, built-in Full HD webcam, and ergonomic design with an IPS panel bring a wide viewing angle and enhanced viewing experience. Both models are designed with efficiency and productivity in mind.
MSI Cloud Center: a Private Cloud with Cross-platform and Mobile Connection Backup
The exclusive Cloud Center allows users to backup and download photos, videos, and any other files between the Android or iOS devices and Modern AM242 & AM272 series All-in-One PC. Just one click and it will automatically backup all of your photos and videos to the specific storage you want within a private intranet environment which ensures a safer private cloud environment. You can make these files accessible to your family or team members, or you can also make files as private as you want and you’re the only one who can access them. The decision is in your hands.
The MSI Cloud Center helps you wirelessly and promptly upload files, projects, or travel plans on your Android or iOS devices to the Modern AM242 & AM272 Series if you don’t want to backup all of these files. You can upload, download, delete or even share the files with your family or team members who have been authorized & logged in with a QR code generated by the MSI Cloud Center, and they will also enjoy the benefit of this private cloud and upload the files to finalize the projects with you. Security, privacy, and efficiency can all be enjoyed at once.
If you have any concerns about having too many photos to backup in your storage, MSI Center’s Smart Image Finder helps categorize and browse through your precious memories with A.I.-generated smart tags so that you can search photos or materials with tags and increase your work efficiency.
Eye Care with Stylish Tone
Using the MSI Modern AM242 and AM272 series AIO PCs is the best way to style a desk, home, or even home office, as they are both aesthetically pleasing and completely functional for learning or working at home or in the office. The innovative Modern AM Series All-in-One PC is designed to stylishly increase visual comfort while performing computer tasks at home or in the office. Both models come with MSI’s Anti-Flicker technology, which eliminates flickering and effectively reduces eye fatigue caused by prolonged use time while enhancing your productivity. The Less Blue Light technology filters visual exposure to the blue light during daily use and brings you the most comfortable viewing experiences.
Enhanced Security & Productivity Design
The built-in Full HD webcam with privacy design and A.I. noise cancellation technology from MSI Center help connect you to the world and with the best video quality. Its built-in webcam supports the Windows Hello biometric authentication system providing you with a faster and safer way to log in. The Modern AM242 and AM272 Series All-in-One PCs also support the privacy screen and peeker detection technology which we developed with Tobii Aware to ensure a safer environment for you. A removable webcam cover is also available if you need more privacy.
With the MSI Instant Display Technology, the Modern AM242 and AM272 Series All-in-One PCs can be used as a monitor without booting up their system. When the devices are connected to their HDMI-in ports, the screen will be turned on immediately. Furthermore, they can support a second monitor through the HDMI output and support the standard VESA mount or MSI’s VESA Arm MT81. The MSI Modern AM242 and Modern AM272 Series All-in-One PCs can help provide a better user experience for you, protect your eyes most ergonomically, and quietly protect our environment as well.
Modern MD272 Series Monitor – The Best Choice Award & Red Dot Design Award Winner
The Modern MD272 Series brings an eye care & ergonomic environment for all users. It provides Full HD & WQHD resolution for a wider field of view and greater detail. With the Less Blue Light PRO and Anti-flicker technology, this monitor protects your eyes while maintaining vibrant colors. With several user-friendly designs such as an adjustable base stand (adjustable tilt, swivel, height & pivot), tool-free design, Type C display & 65W power delivery, internal speakers, the exclusive Productivity Intelligence (P.I.) app that supports the KVM switch, proper display mode, and convenient tools, the Modern MD272 is awarded the 2022 Best Choice Award and the 2021 German Red Dot Design Award. This is the pinnacle of business monitor achievement which helps expand your vision to the world.
Review: HONOR X9
HONOR launched its HONOR X Series a while ago and we had reviewed the X8, as well. This time around...
Review: Amazon Echo Show 10
The Amazon Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen) is the company’s new smart display and speaker, powered by the Alexa voice...
Video Review of the POCO F4 GT in the UAE
POCO’s new F4 GT is a gaming smartphone that packs in top-notch specs at a pocket-friendly price. The F4 GT...
Review: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Samsung’s new Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra tablet is possibly one of the biggest out there on the market with a...
Review: Bose QuietComfort 45 Noise Cancelling Smart Headphones
Bose’s new QuietComfort 45 headphones replace the successful QuietComfort 35 II. The new pair of headphones come with noise cancellation...