Recent research from Norton by Symantec reveals that more than eight in ten UAE parents (85 percent) are concerned about their children’s safety on the internet. Half of UAE parents worry their children will be bullied or harassed (49 percent), or will be lured away by a stranger (54 percent), and two in three (67 percent) believe children today are more exposed to online dangers than children five years ago.
According to the Norton Cyber Security Insights Report, a survey of nearly 21,000 consumers globally, two in five parents in the UAE believe their children are more likely to be bullied online than at school in the playground. In addition to cyberbullying, parents’ chief concerns are that their children might:
- Download malicious programs or apps (60 percent)
- Disclose too much personal information to strangers (51 percent)
- Say or do something online that makes the whole family vulnerable (52 percent)
- Post something that will haunt them in the future with job or university prospects (48 percent)
While nearly three in ten UAE parents allow their children under six years to access the internet, a majority of parents implement proactive measures to keep their children safe online, such as limiting access to certain websites and apps (48 percent) or allowing Internet access only under parental supervision (47 percent).
“Parents play a critical role in educating their children on the boundaries for acceptable and safe internet behaviours. An open dialogue about online experiences is the first step in protecting children online,” said Tamim Taufiq, Head of Norton Middle East. “The internet is a valuable resource for children’s development, and our children today don’t know a world without it. Preventing children from going online is not necessarily the answer, we encourage parents to establish house rules on internet usage based on their age and talk to their children about their online experiences.”
Talking about online etiquette, online boundaries, safe internet habits, online experiences and cyberbullying doesn’t have to be challenging. This year, as part of Safer Internet Day, Norton wants to help parents identify the signs of cyberbullying, empower them to start a conversation with their children and establish “netiquette” when the time is right.
Some notable signs of cyberbullying amongst children include:
- Appearing nervous when receiving a text/online message or email or begin avoiding their devices or using them excessively
- Making excuses to avoid going to school, grades beginning to decline or acting up
- Becoming defensive or secretive about online activity or delete social media accounts
- Withdrawing from friends and family
- Physical symptoms such as trouble sleeping, stomach aches, headaches, and weight loss or gain
- Appearing particularly angry, frustrated or sad, especially after going online/checking devices
Tips on how parents can keep their children safe online:
- Establish a set of guidelines for how your children use technology, also known as online etiquette. These guidelines may include how much time can be spent online, which websites are safe to use or what language is appropriate when chatting.
- Create a set of House Rules for children’s online communication, downloading, websites that are safe to visit, and cyber harassment. A decrease in negative online experiences is closely linked to households where there is an open dialogue with children about online safety.
- Teach young children to use strong and unique passwords across all their accounts and never to share passwords, even with their friends.
- Discuss the risks of posting and sharing private information, videos, and photographs, especially on social media websites – everything posted online is a digital footprint for children and can be challenging to completely erase. Parents should help ensure their children are not posting content that will compromise their security or which they may regret when they are older.
- Children are likely to imitate their parents’ behaviour, so parents are encouraged to lead by example and show their children how to safely surf online
- Encourage kids to think before they click; whether they’re looking at online video sites, receiving an unknown link in an email or even browsing the web and seeing banners or pop-ups, remind your children not to click links which may take them to dangerous or inappropriate sites. Clicking unknown links is a common way devices are infected with malware and also can reveal private and valuable information to criminals.
- Use a robust and trusted security software solution, such as Norton Security, for all household devices – from tablets to smartphones, laptops and desktops.
- Most importantly, encourage and maintain an open and ongoing dialogue with your children on Internet use and experiences.
Huawei Launches New Devices at its Flagship Launch Event 2022
Huawei Consumer Business Group (BG) featured a variety of HUAWEI’s cutting edge hardware products at the Huawei Flagship Launch Event 2022, including the HUAWEI WATCH GT3 Pro, HUAWEI P50, HUAWEI WATCH FIT 2, HUAWEI WATCH D, HUAWEI Band 7 and HUAWEI Mate Xs 2 that aim to further simplify daily lives of consumers. Along with its hardware products, Huawei also features its world-renowned Health App which has aided consumers all around the world lead a healthy lifestyle.
Huawei also announced that UAE residents to be one of the first to get hands-on majority the new flagship devices this month including HUAWEI WATCH GT3 Pro, HUAWEI P50 and HUAWEI WATCH FIT 2. Huawei Consumer Business Group always puts consumers at the centre of what it does. At the launch event, Richard Yu, CEO of the Consumer Business Group, highlighted Huawei’s continuous dedication to optimising user experience to fulfil its strategy and vision of an All-Scenario Seamless AI Life.
The HUAWEI WATCH GT3 Pro comes with a “moon phase collection” interface design, premium materials, an ultra-clear large screen and a range of watch faces to choose from. The latest Huawei’s latest flagship smartwatch makes it easy to support a healthy lifestyle, with Electrocardiogram (ECG) analysis, and HUAWEI TruSeen 5.0+ data monitoring technology, allowing for accurate heart health measurement and blood oxygen monitoring.
HUAWEI WATCH GT 3 Pro Titanium Edition comes with a 14 days battery life and 7 days of battery life in intense usage scenarios, while the HUAWEI WATCH GT 3 Pro Ceramic Edition comes with 7 days of battery life in typical scenarios and 4 days of battery life in heavy usage scenarios. Thanks to wireless fast charging, you can charge up the watch for a full-day day of use in just 10 minutes.
Users of the HUAWEI WATCH GT3 Pro have access to over 100 workout modes paired with an AI Running Coach and personal running planning feature based on an individual’s physical, running history and personal goals. They are also able to monitor their health with the Electrocardiogram (ECG) function. The HUAWEI WATCH GT3 Pro allows users to obtain accurately record ECG data in support of vascular health management, allowing users to actively prevent the risk of vascular diseases.
The HUAWEI WATCH GT3 Pro, available in Titanium and Ceramic editions will hit the shelves starting May 20th at Huawei Experience Stores, e-commerce and across select retailers in the UAE.
It comprises the powerful Main Camera Matrix and SuperZoom Matrix. The hardware is integrated with the HUAWEI XD Optics and HUAWEI XD Fusion Pro image engine, resulting in high-resolution images that are brighter and cleaner with more details. Huawei went the extra mile to glean a better understanding of colours. It created a comprehensive solution and tweaked over 2,000 colours in the full colour gamut. There is a new super colour filter system with True-Chroma Image Engine and Super HDR technology that provides comprehensive enhancements to details, colours and dynamic range. The HUAWEI P50 is outstanding in videography as it is in photography.
The True-Form Dual-Matrix Camera supports 4K video recording on both the front and rear, providing vivid clear footage from every angle. Moreover, the periscope zoom lens supports a maximum zoom range of up to 80 times. The HUAWEI P50 also supports a new generation of AIS Pro True-Steady Shot technology and is complemented by all-new OIS hardware to offer vastly improved stabilisation experiences.
It incorporates a stunning display with a single-punch hole camera. With the HDR display supporting the full P3 colour gamut, it can deliver an impressive visual experience for both video entertainment and gameplay alike. The HUAWEI P50 features a 6.5-inch display with a high refresh rate and 300 Hz touch sampling rate to provide fast response times. With an IP68 rating, you can be sure you will be protected from the elements when out and about.
Whether for gaming, recording, working or simply browsing the Internet, the HUAWEI P50 delivers excellent battery life with a large and long-lasting 4100mAh battery, which is supported by 66W HUAWEI SuperCharge. Furthermore, the trusted innovative, and secure AppGallery is available on the HUAWEI P50 where users can download a wide range of high-quality apps.
The newly launched HUAWEI P50 in Cocoa Gold and Golden Black will be available in the UAE starting May 20th at a price of AED 2799. The HUAWEI WATCH FIT 2 connects style and functionality together with fashionable characteristics. The HUAWEI WATCH FIT 2 is equipped with a 1,74-inch AMOLED HD HUAWEI FullView that displays 336PPI and 336 x 480 resolution to deliver an excellent visual experience and is accompanied by a screen-to-body ratio as high as 72.2%. The watch also features a new chessboard launcher design that provides users with an interactive experience and the Tap to Transfer feature.
HUAWEI WATCH FIT 2 now comes with a speaker, in addition to the microphone. Calls can be pushed from users’ smartphone to their smartwatch via Bluetooth, so they can chat on the go, wherever they are. Users can answer and hang up calls with ease by tapping on the smartwatch’s button and add frequently used contacts in the HUAWEI Heath App. They can also play music directly on the smartwatch with offline music playback and manage music playback through mobile apps. Gain access to HUAWEI Assistant∙TODAY on the smartwatch to quickly check the weather, flights, and other information. Despite the compact body, HUAWEI WATCH FIT 2 manages to fit in a large battery. Under typical usage scenarios, the smartwatch can be used for 10 days, and 7 days under heavy usage scenarios.
The new HUAWEI WATCH FIT 2 will be available in the UAE starting May 27th at a price of AED 599.
HUAWEI Mate Xs 2
Introducing the HUAWEI Mate Xs 2, HUAWEI’s brand-new flagship foldable smartphone. With a weight of only 255g and a thickness of only 5.4mm, the phone features the first 3D Fibreglass Design to achieve a fusion of aesthetic colours and textures. To achieve an ultra-flat surface that is minimalistic and natural, the phone uses the Falcon Wing Design. Through that, the movement of the hinge and screen is precisely synchronised via the fixed-length linkage control. For the phone’s screen, the use of HUAWEI’s self-developed innovative industry-first composite screen to absorb all shock and buffer makes the HUAWEI Mate Xs 2 ultra-reliable.
To further enhance user quality, the HUAWEI Mate Xs 2 is equipped with HUAWEI flagship products such as a 7.8-inch True-Chroma foldable display to deliver high-resolution content, Silicon-Based Anode battery for higher density and larger capacity, 66W HUAWEI SuperCharge that allows a 90% charge within 30minutes, and an Anti-Reflective Nano Optical layer to help reduce glare. And to top that all off, the HUAWI Mate Xs 2 incorporates innovative interactions with multitasking capabilities and Floating Window Swipe Gestures to provide a seamless control while operating the multi-window.
HUAWEI Health App
HUAWEI Health App covers all aspects of a healthy lifestyle, including Fitness, Nutrition and Wellness. Users can enjoy a wide range of features of the HUAWEI Health App to stay fit for both physical and mental health. With HUAWEI Health+, Huawei is introducing a new premium paid subscription service for users who are looking for more advanced health & fitness features.
Creating a regiment to stay health is not easy but with the help of the HUAWEI Health App+’s Stay Fit Plan, users can create workouts and eating plans with automatic reminders for individuals base on their personal training days, exercise goals and favourite foods. Use the Nutritional Analysis to input nutrition data for each meal and calculation highly accurate calorie counts that can help users meet their goals.
Lastly, to help with breathing, HUAWEI’s Breathing Training allows users to create and develop their own breathing exercise routine which encourages consistency and ensures that the practice fits into the user’s daily life. The HUAWEI Health+ will be firstly released in Germany and Italy. HUAWEI continues to strive enable users to lead healthy lifestyles with new innovations. With new and unique hardware and functions allowing users to track and motivate themselves as they embark on the journey to finding their best self.
MediaTek Announces Complete Wi-Fi 7 Platforms for Access Points and Clients
MediaTek has announced the Filogic 880 and Filogic 380 Wi-Fi 7 platform solutions for high-bandwidth applications in the operator, retail, enterprise, and consumer electronics markets. This pair of chips will be among the first Wi-Fi 7 solutions to hit the market, allowing device makers to deliver cutting-edge products with the latest connectivity technology.
Filogic 880 is a complete platform that combines a Wi-Fi 7 access point with a new advanced host processor solution to provide the industry’s best router and gateway solution for the operator, retail, and enterprise markets. It offers a scalable architecture that can support up to pentaband 4×4 with a maximum speed of 36Gbps. Filogic 380 is designed to bring Wi-Fi 7 connectivity to all client devices, including smartphones, tablets, TVs, notebooks, set-top boxes, and OTT streaming devices. The chip’s dual concurrent 2×2 capability will be optimized “out-of-the-box” for these devices as MediaTek also supplies the corresponding platform solutions. This helps to streamline the design process, maximize performance and accelerate time-to-market.
“Our wireless connectivity solutions are designed to deliver the fastest performance using the most advanced technologies, and represent MediaTek’s commitment to driving Wi-Fi 7 adoption in a large number of new markets,” said Alan Hsu, corporate vice president and general manager of the Intelligent Connectivity business at MediaTek. “With Filogic 880 and Filogic 380, our customers can deliver fast, reliable, and always-on connected experiences to meet the industry’s growing connectivity demands.”
MediaTek’s Filogic 880 is a Wi-Fi 7 access point with a powerful application processor and network processing unit (NPU) to support maximum Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and packet processing performance. The chip offers a wide range of interfaces and peripherals, making it easy to customize designs for various end products and applications.
The Filogic 880 platform includes a 6nm Wi-Fi 7 access point solution with:
- Support for key Wi-Fi 7 technologies such as 4096-QAM, 320MHz, MRU and MLO
- Flexibility to scale to pentaband 36Gbps speeds
- Support up to 10Gbps in one channel
- Support for OFDMA RU, MU-MIMO and MBSSID
In addition to its Wi-Fi 7 capabilities, the Filogic 880 platform also provides a powerful host processor, which includes a quad-core Arm Cortex-A73 application processor and an advanced NPU. Key features include:
- An advanced hardware network full off-load engine on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet interface
- A built-in networking crypto engine (EIP-197) for accelerating IPSec, SSL/TLS, DTLS (CAPWAP), SRTP and MACsec
- Support for high-speed interfaces (5Gbps USB and 10Gbps PCI-Express), UART, SD, SPI, PWM, GPIO and OTP for rich platform customization opportunities
The Filogic 380 is a stand-alone, single-chip 6nm Wi-Fi 7 and Bluetooth 5.3 combo solution designed to deliver best-in-class connectivity. It is optimized for smartphones, TVs, notebooks, set-top boxes, OTT streaming devices, and many other consumer electronics devices that are powered by MediaTek SoCs.
Key features of the Filogic 380 include:
- Support for key Wi-Fi 7 technologies such as 4096-QAM, 320MHz, MRU and MLO
- Support for MLO offering up to 6.5Gbps speeds
- Support up to 5Gbps in one channel
- Support for 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz bands
- Support for dual 2×2 radios for dual-band simultaneous operation
- Latest Bluetooth 5.3 with LE Audio
MediaTek has been involved in the development of the Wi-Fi 7 standard since its inception, and the company is one of the first adopters of Wi-Fi 7 technology. The rollout of Wi-Fi 7 will mark the first time that Wi-Fi can be a true wireline/Ethernet replacement for super high-bandwidth applications; Wi-Fi 7 technology will be the backbone of home, office, and industrial networks and provide seamless connectivity for everything from multi-player AR/VR applications to cloud gaming and 4K calls to 8K streaming and beyond.
Linksys Launches New Series of Affordable WiFi 6 Mesh Solutions
Linksys has announced two new WiFi 6 mesh systems designed to deliver peak wireless performance for all at-home needs including remote working, streaming content, multi-user gaming, and more. The Linksys Hydra 6 and Linksys Atlas 6 are Linksys’ newest entry-level dual-band products in the company’s family of WiFi 6 mesh systems and come at the most affordable prices to date for the brand.
“There is an increased need for wireless connectivity that can handle the influx of devices on home networks, and deliver reliable, secure, and private connections,” said Amanullah Khan, Managing Director for the Middle East, Turkey & Africa at Linksys. “Our mission is to connect everyone securely and through the launch of these systems, we provide our customers with two new options for fast speed, coverage, and connectivity at an affordable price point.”
Linksys Atlas 6
The Linksys Atlas 6 is the newest whole-home mesh system in Linksys’ portfolio of products. Speed and performance at an affordable price, the Linksys Atlas 6 is ideal for hybrid work, online gaming, 4K UHD streaming, and more. The dual-band router works best with internet service plans up to a gigabit. Each node has three 1GbE Ethernet ports for connecting wired devices to wireless networks and provides access to 160MHz channels for superfast wireless connections.
The Linksys Atlas 6 is available in three configurations. The 1-pack supports up to 25 devices and covers over ~2,000 square feet, the 2-pack supports up to 50 devices and covers ~4,000 square feet, and the 3-pack supports up to 75 devices ~6,000 square feet.
Linksys Hydra 6
The Linksys Hydra 6 delivers high-speed wireless data for up to 25 devices over 2,000 square feet. The Linksys Hydra 6 WiFi 6 dual-band mesh router delivers dramatically faster, robust, and reliable wireless connections. Ideal for super smooth 4K UHD streaming, video conferencing, online gaming, and more. The router works best with internet service plans up to a gigabit. It provides 160 MHz channels for superfast wireless connections and has four 1 GbE Ethernet ports to connect wired devices such as gaming devices, television, DVR, and more to the wireless network.
Features of Linksys Atlas 6 and Hydra 6, include:
- Fast to set up. Easy to manage. – The Linksys App makes it simple to set up your WiFi network and you can control and monitor your WiFi from anywhere.
- Linksys Intelligent Mesh Technology – Dynamically optimize speeds and maximize the use of all bands to reduce congestion, latency, and buffering.
- Security and privacy you can trust – Protect your home with automatic software updates so your network is always secure and up to date. Parental controls and separate guest networks keep devices safe.
- Peace of mind – Linksys products pass 25 quality tests, are backed by a 3-year warranty, and have 24/7 tech support.
- Grow as needed – When your family, home, and needs grow, your WiFi should grow with you. Add more nodes to expand coverage for a stronger connection and to handle more devices as needed.
- Robust. Stable. Reliable. – Built with the Qualcomm Immersive Home 214 Platform users can expect great connectivity throughout the home.
The Linksys Hydra 6 will be available beginning early summer in the US for $179.99 on Linksys.com and in select retailers; global availability to follow in the second half of 2022. The Linksys Atlas 6 will be available beginning early summer in the US for $149.99 (1-pack), $279.99 (2-pack), and $349.99 (3-pack) on Linksys.com; global availability to follow in the second half of 2022.
Review: HONOR X9
HONOR launched its HONOR X Series a while ago and we had reviewed the X8, as well. This time around...
Review: Amazon Echo Show 10
The Amazon Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen) is the company’s new smart display and speaker, powered by the Alexa voice...
Video Review of the POCO F4 GT in the UAE
POCO’s new F4 GT is a gaming smartphone that packs in top-notch specs at a pocket-friendly price. The F4 GT...
Review: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Samsung’s new Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra tablet is possibly one of the biggest out there on the market with a...
Review: Bose QuietComfort 45 Noise Cancelling Smart Headphones
Bose’s new QuietComfort 45 headphones replace the successful QuietComfort 35 II. The new pair of headphones come with noise cancellation...