Toshiba and Kioxia (previously Toshiba Memory) have announced the first of its kind HACKcellence Fest, enhanced by Middlesex University Dubai and conceptualised and engineered end to end by ISD Global Dubai. Where students from the Middle East, Levant, Africa, and the Indian subcontinent are encouraged to Dream and Dare in a first-of-its-kind Hack Festival that has been established to discover solutions that can solve the real-life problems of the day.
“The incredible potential that lies kinetic within the student community around the region is beyond doubt. In the context of age,10 is indeed the new 20, and 20 is the new 40. That has been established beyond doubt. To facilitate and harness such vast potential within the student community, Toshiba and Kioxia (previously Toshiba Memory) are pioneering a first of its kind HACKcellence Fest in association with Middlesex University Dubai, and branding agency ISD Global, where students are encouraged and mentored to find hacks and solutions that will solve real-life problems that humanity is grappling with. Hackathons are happening all over and all the time,” explained avered Santosh Varghese, Vice President, Toshiba Gulf FZE.
“Our endeavor (and the notable distinction) with the HACKcellence Fest is to ensure that game-changing hacks and ideas find appropriate competent suitors, get the encouragement and the mentoring/guidance, the financial and management wherewithal to bring their solutions to the real world. In that respect, the HACKcellence Fest is an end-to-end platform that begins with the generation of a stack of hacks or ideas and finds them getting their due place and recognition in the market/s that need them,” Varghese added.
The HACKcellence Fest is open to school pupils from Grade 8 and above and students from Colleges and Universities across 26 countries. Participating teams are being encouraged to think big and use their creativity when coming up with their hacks and ideas, with suggested focus areas including but not limited to Data Storage and Privacy, Robotics and AI, Edge Computing and IOT, Digital Health, Digital Humanism, Sustainability and Infrastructure, Smart Cities, Transport and Mobility, and Education.
“What makes this initiative unique is the fact that students are not limited by the guidelines we have put in place, but encouraged to break them and think beyond. We believe that challenges come with opportunities, and the HACKcellence Fest is a fantastic opportunity for students to make an impact and find solutions to the major issues affecting the global community,” added said Dr. Cedwyn Fernandes, Pro Vice-Chancellor of Middlesex University and Director of Middlesex University Dubai.
“We are providing participants with an open platform to submit ideas inspired by any topic that interests them. We are looking for their wildest, brightest hacks. As a leading UK university in Dubai at the cutting edge of future-forward education, we at Middlesex University Dubai are best placed to unlock the skills, ideas, and innate ability that the region’s student community can offer the world. As proud partners with Toshiba and Kioxia and ISD Global, we look forward to launching the HACKcellence Fest and provide students with this platform to make their ideas a reality,” Dr. Fernandes explained.
Submissions for hacks and ideas are open until mid-July 2021, after which a panel of jury will shortlist candidates to progress through to the next stage. Those who make it through will gain access to exclusive personalised mentoring sessions and workshops over an 8-week period that will provide them with expert guidance as they bring their idea to fruition. “At Toshiba, we turn on the promise of a new day. Guided by the essence of Toshiba, we harness our knowledge and experience in the areas of energy, social infrastructure, electronics devices, and digital solutions to help communities thrive. We achieve our common purpose together but each in our own different ways,” said Varghese.
“At ISD Global we always walk the walk on the power of cooperative marketing and the collaborative advantage energy that it releases for all stakeholders involved. As brand builders and new business and market enablers working with top-of-the-line brands across 4 continents over the past almost two decades, the ethos we practice at ISD Global is that of being counterintuitive and disintermediating,” Suresh Dinakaran, Chief Storyteller, ISD Global Dubai. “Our idea with the HACKcellence Fest is to unleash a committed, purpose-filled visionary foray into the ecosphere and to establish a Davos for the student universe in the Middle East, the Levant, Indian Subcontinent, and all of Africa, a virtual meeting of young, bright minds coming together to discover tangible solutions to solve real-life problems.”
The HACKcellence Fest will have its grand finale in the form of an Awards Ceremony in Dubai in October 2021. Students are competing to win a range of exciting awards, including cash prizes of more than $10,000, University Scholarships, Entrepreneurship Training, Start-Up Mentoring, Data Storage and Incubation Facilitation, Electronic Gadgets, and much more.
QuakeCon 2021: Streaming Schedule Released, Giveaways Announced and More
We’re a few days away from the kickoff of QuakeCon at Home, the global online event that will bring the fun and comradery of QuakeCon to your home. QuakeCon will be celebrated with live streams featuring updates on existing and upcoming games, tournaments, charity fundraising, puppies (!!!), musical performances, giveaways, celebrity streams, developer panels, and more.
The fun kicks off with a brief Welcome Message at 2 p.m. ET on August 19 followed immediately by fan-focused panels.
Day 1 will feature a series of signature panels with Bethesda developers discussing what’s new, what’s upcoming, and looking back at some of the biggest games for their anniversaries, Quake and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Day 2 and Day 3 will feature a variety of fun panels from around the world with charities, community, guest stars, and more as we celebrate the games and activities that make QuakeCon, QuakeCon.
More details about each of the panels, including full panel descriptions, can be found online at https://quakecon.bethesda.net/en/schedule/
Thursday, Aug 19
- Welcome to QuakeCon 2021 with Pete Hines & Erin Losi: 2 p.m. ET
- Celebrating 25 Years of Quake with id Software and Machine Games: 2:05 p.m. ET – Kevin Cloud and Marty Stratton from id Software and Jerk Gustafsson from MachineGames discuss the impact and legacy of the original Quake on its 25th anniversary.
- Deep Dive into DEATHLOOP with Arkane Lyon: 2:30 p.m. ET – Arkane Lyon gets fans … looped in … on the details of the upcoming PlayStation 5 console exclusive DEATHLOOP, including a special discussion about multiplayer.
- Fallout 76: Making Appalachia Your Own with Fallout Worlds: 3 p.m. ET – Join members of the Fallout 76 development team as they discuss how the game is evolving and take an in-depth look at our upcoming Fallout Worlds Update.
- Inside the Award-Winning The Elder Scrolls Online with ZeniMax Online Studios: 3:30 p.m. ET – Matt Firor and Rich Lambert take fans inside ESO and discuss the great additions to the game and what new players can expect from the award-winning MMO.
- Reliving the Opening of Skyrim with the Creators from BGS: 4 p.m. ET – Hey you! You’re finally awake. Celebrate Skyrim’s 10th Anniversary and watch the opening moments of Skyrim as the creators discuss insider stories and relive memories from development.
- DOOM Eternal Studio Update with Marty and Hugo: 4:30 p.m. ET – id Software’s Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin bring fans up-to-date on everything happening with DOOM Eternal.
- ANZ – Fallout 76 End-Game Guide: 11 p.m. ET
- ANZ – Fallout 76 – Playing with UFC Middleweight Rob Whittaker: 12:30 a.m. ET
Friday, Aug 20
- UK – Fallout 76 – UK Stream Team Build-a-Thon: 9:30 a.m. ET
- UK – Let’s Talk Quake with Digital Foundry: 10:45 a.m. ET
- DEATHLOOP Meets its Makers: 2:15 p.m. ET
- WeRateDog’s Matt Nelson and Pete Hines Rate Dogs & More: 3:30 p.m. ET
- Code Orange vs Quake Music Video Debut: 4:15 p.m. ET
- Alienware – Fundraising and Raising Heck with Anna Maree: 5 p.m. ET
- The Elder Scrolls Online – Dungeon Speed Run Competition: 6:30 p.m. ET
- Exclusive Musical Performance by Trivium: 8 p.m. ET
- Skyrim – 10th Anniversary Interactive Fun Run with Gus Johnson: 9:00 p.m. ET
- ANZ – The Elder Scrolls Online – Mates of Oblivion Dungeon Runs: 12:30 a.m. ET
- ANZ – The Elder Scrolls Online – MissMollyMakes An Epic Banquet: 1:45 a.m. ET
Saturday, Aug 21
- UK – DOOM Eternal – ‘Prayer vs Slayer’: 9:30 a.m. ET
- UK – ESO – Through Flames of Ambition with the UK Stream Team: 10:45 a.m. ET
- DOOM Eternal BATTLEMODE Community Bonanza!: 2:15 p.m. ET
- Fallout 76 – C.A.M.P. Love It or Nuke It: 3:30 p.m. ET
- Quake World Championship Grand Finals: 4:45 p.m. ET
- The Elder Scrolls Online – Live Art Creation: 6:30 p.m. ET
QuakeCon’s charitable legacy is being carried forward this year as well, in both a global and local way. QuakeCon viewers will be able to join us in donating to organizations directly from the official QuakeCon stream, including Asian Americans Advancing Justice (AAJC), NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, The Trevor Project, and UNICEF.
QuakeCon also has the new and exclusive “Pugcubus” and “Catloop” apparel for sale. Custom Ink will split all profits from the sale of these shirts between our long-time Dallas animal adoption partner, Dallas Pets Alive, as well as FOUR PAWS, a global animal welfare organization. You can purchase these items here: https://www.customink.com/fundraising/quakecon
Free In-Game Goodies!
- DOOM Eternal QuakeCon Slayer Skin – DOOM Eternal players can access a free in-game QuakeCon Slayer Skin, icon, and player badge across all platforms. Available from August 19 – September 2.
- Fans who have their ESO and Twitch accounts linked through account.elderscrollsonline.com and watch for the minimum required time (15 minutes) during any of the ESO streams will receive a Twitch Drop containing one Ouroboros Crown Crate and one Flame Atronach Pack Wolf pet.
- Log in to Quake Champions during QuakeCon and receive this year’s exclusive QuakeCon 2021 Gauntlet weapon skin, profile icon, and nameplate! Available until August 23.
Check out the QuakeCon 2021 Bethesda Sale across digital storefronts featuring massive deals on select Bethesda games, including 67% off Fallout 76, 75% off DOOM Eternal Deluxe Edition, 85% off Dishonored: Death of the Outsider – Deluxe Bundle, and more. These sales are live right now.
Official QuakeCon Twitch Team
Playing and sharing games with friends in the BYOC is the core of QuakeCon, and this year the global QuakeCon community will once again unite and connect through the official QuakeCon Twitch Team. The Team will celebrate QuakeCon, play and share games, and help raise money for the QuakeCon-supported charities. Some players will be featured on the QuakeCon Twitch Team page.
QuakeCon Giveaways on Fun from Partners
QuakeCon’s amazing partners have put together some awesome giveaways for fans who tune into our streams and interact with us on Twitter at @QuakeCon and @Bethesda. Check out just a few of those giveaways to look out for over the course of the event below and stay tuned to learn how to win them!
- Pecos Pete has their traditional branded QuakeCon mugs for sale
- Alienware will be giving away a curved 360Hz Monitor on Anna Maree’s Fundraising and Raising Heck stream
- Razer Prize packages – Fans will have three chances to win each day while watching on Twitch
- Razer Huntsman Mini Gaming Keyboard with Clicky Optical Switch
- Razer Viper Ultimate Gaming Mouse with Charging Dock
- Razer BlackShark V2 Pro Wireless Headset
- Razer Gigantus V2 Mouse Mat
- Razer Base Station V2 Chroma Headset Stand USB Hub
- Razer Sneki Sneki Plushie
- Fractal Design: Custom QuakeCon Torrent Black Light Tint TG PC Cases
- DOOM and Fallout-themed gaming chairs from noblechairs
- Custom Skyrim SteelSeries Headset and Mousepad as well as a Custom Skyrim Constellation Keyboard by Keycult
- Quake: Ranger Master Art Print from Gaming Heads
- NZXT will give away a full Custom Quakecon PC build on their social channels
- SteelSeries Clip Competition
Power League Gaming to Host Razer’s Tournament Series in the Middle East
Power League Gaming (PLG) has announced that it has been awarded the contract by Razer to launch its Razer Invitational tournament series for the first time in the MENA region. Another major client win for PLG in 2021, the contract with Razer will see PLG manage the entire tournament from planning to inception, covering seven countries in the MENA region that include; KSA, UAE, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, and Egypt.
Running until 2nd September 2021, the tournament series includes four of the biggest games in the market and have been expertly selected by PLG to attract the Arabic gaming audience and include; Call of Duty Black Ops, League of Legends, PUBG Mobile, and Valorant, with a prize pool of $50,000 at play for the series.
Matthew Pickering, CEO of Power League Gaming said, “We are delighted to announce this strategic partnership with Razer, one of the most influential and progressive brands in the global gaming space. PLG has invested heavily in infrastructure and systems to create world-class production formats for eSports and content creation. We look forward to launching the inaugural MENA Razer Invitational providing credible and exciting experiences to the highly valued and engaged Arabic gaming audience.”
Offering 360-degree project management, PLG will handle the entire planning and production of the tournament, as well as the commentating, at its fully-equipped 10,000 square foot production studio in Dubai. PLG is also in charge of influencer relations for the project, working with leading Arab gaming influencers such as Gamer Snack and Opiilz, as well as social media management, asset production, and the running of the online campaign.
MSI Launches new PCs for Gamers and Creators at Computex 2021
MSI has announced a range of new devices at Computex 2021, including new laptops, desktops, parts, and peripherals. The devices extend across of wide range of lines from MSI, including its Creator, Stealth, Raider, and Leopard devices.
Creator Series Laptops
MSI announced new laptops from its Creator, Raider, Stealth, Leopard, Sword, Pulse, and Katana lines. The over a performance increase of up to 30%, thanks to their 11th Gen Intel H series processors and up to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 laptops GPUs.
The Creator Z16 has a 16:10 display and thin bezels to help creators maximize screen real estate on the go. Its display is available with up to QHD+ resolution with 110% DCI-P3 color coverage. It runs on up to an RTX 3060 laptop GPU and an 11th Gen Intel CPU. Alongside the Creator Z16, MSI announced the new Creator M16 and Creator M17, which have a 16:10 QHD+ display and 4K Mini LED display, respectively.
Gaming Series Laptops
On the gaming side of things, MSI announced quite a few laptops. The GE76/66 Raider, GS76/66 Stealth, and GP76/66 Leopard series laptops focus on speed, with support for PCIe Gen4, Thunderbolt 4, and Wi-Fi 6E. Display options for the gaming laptops include up to 360Hz or QHD at 240Hz.
The GE76 and GE66 Raider feature NVIDIA RTX 3080 graphics with TGP up to 165W. The Pulse GL76/66, Katana GF76/66, and Sword 17/15 are more budget-friendly gaming laptops. The more affordable options have NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics.
MSI announced that it’s sold over 3 million monitors worldwide. It hopes to increase that number with its newly announced Optix MEG381CQR Plus monitor. It has a 2300R IPS curved panel and supports MSI’s Steelseries GameSense function. It’s the first monitor from MSI to support G-Sync Ultimate, which helps reduce tearing.
Three new flat gaming monitors from the Optix line were also announced; the Optix MPG341QR, Optix MPG321QRF-QD, and Optix MPG321UR-QD, the last of which supports HDMI 2.1 and 4K resolution at 144Hz.
MSI’s new Summit MS321 UP monitor is designed for eyecare while also delivering accurate colors. The monitor has a 4K display that can be ergonomically adjusted. It also supports the MSI Intelligence App, including the KVM function, which lets people toggle between two computers with a keyboard and mouse while using the same monitor.
Moving over to gaming desktops, MSI announced the MAG Infinite S3. It features front panels with an asymmetrical design that includes MSI mystic light. It runs on an 11th Gen Intel Core processor and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics card. The MAG Infinite S3 supports NVIDIA Resizable BAR technology, which brings a 10% performance improvement to games.
The MPG GAMING MAVERIK is a bundle kit from MSI that features an Intel Core i7-11700K CPU, MPG CORELIQUID K360 SP, MPG Z5900 GAMING EDGE WIFI SP, and MPG VELOX 100P AIRFLOW SP. It also features Trident Z Maverik memory. The core frequency of the MPG Gaming MAVERIK can be boosted from 3.6GHz to 4.8GHz for all cores. The Creator P50 desktop is a compact PC built for creators.
MSI also announced the SUPRIM 35th Anniversary Limited Edition graphics card today. The graphics card is built on the SUPRIM series foundation, and MSI states that it “retains all the same key features.” In addition to the new GPU, MSI announced the X570S MAX Series motherboards. They feature fanless cooling for silent performance.
To go along with all the new PCs, MSI announced a couple of accessories. The IMMERSE GH62 WIRELESS EARBUDS are the first set of wireless earbuds from the company. They deliver “accurate audio reproduction, clear voice recording, low-latency responsiveness, and low maintenance,” according to MSI.
MSI unveiled the CLUTCH GM41 LIGHTWEIGHT WIRELESS gaming mouse as well. It’s a symmetrical gaming mouse that connects through a 2.4GHz signal. The mouse has a latency of just 1ms and is designed for FPS players. It weighs 74g, so you should be able to scoot it around the best desk mousepads quickly.
MSI has not shared pricing or availability for the new devices at this time.
Long Term Review: Huawei nova 8
Huawei’s new nova 8 was launched in the UAE in August 2021 and the company promptly sent us a device...
Review: Sennheiser CX True Wireless Earbuds
Sennheiser has entered into the affordable wireless earbuds category with the launch of the new CX True Wireless earbuds. This...
Review: Corsair SABRE PRO CHAMPION SERIES Optical Gaming Mouse
The name of this gaming mouse may be quite a mouthful. However, the performance it offers is incredible. The new...
Review: WD Elements SE SSD (480GB)
WD has launched one of the cheapest portable SSD drives on the market under the moniker Western Digital Elements SE...
Review: Corsair M65 RGB Ultra Wireless
A few days ago, gaming accessories major Corsair, announced the new M65 RGB Ultra Wireless gaming mouse on the market....